There are several related safety measures and specific attitude, knowledge and skills which are required to conduct shooting. An adult supervision is the key element while letting youngsters and children practice shooting through air guns and pistols. Certain rules should also be followed and a regular practice will enable a perfect action during shooting. One should adapt safety through proper procedure, policies and practices. If anyone wants to gain the most basic skills or he or she wants to become a certified safety instructor, officer or a shooting coach, the training should be taken to learn and increase knowledge of shooting sports. A proper understanding of sir gun safety will help gain smooth functioning of operations while shooting. Let’s get through the following safety rules:
- Never consider an air pistol or gun a toy. These should be treated with a respect and with safe hands. No ignorance or carelessness is accepted while handling these equipments. A lack of knowledge of safety and operation can be really risky. So, beware of carelessness and always be alert while handling.
- The primary rule is to keep gun pointed in a safe direction. It means that the gun should be pointed in such a manner that it would cause no injury or damage when it was to be operated. The position where finger is kept off the trigger until ready to shoot is also a safe style of holding a gun. The finger can be rested along the side of the gun or also outside the trigger guard. Not touching the trigger until ready firing is one of the safest approach.
- Keeping the gun unloaded until ready to use is a safe step. Whenever a gun is picked up, one can keep the finger off the trigger and if there is any magazine in the gun, removing it before any further action will help keep a safe distance from accidents. If one is unaware of the opening action and inspection of chamber, then the gun should be kept alone and help should be taken from someone who is an expertise. One can check the gun’s state and then further steps can be taken gradually. Setting an example by religiously following these safety measures by shooters will help the practitioner to learn and adopt correct behavior while gun handling.
- Now, a safe step while handling a gun to the other person should be followed. Here, all above three rules should be followed simultaneously. The gun should be accepted from another person only if the magazine is out, its action open and the chamber is empty.
- One should be aware of the target and what lies beyond that. All standing operating procedures should be applied regarding the targets and their distances. The types and calibers of the guns which can be used should be inspected before use.
Wearing proper eye and ear protection while using guns to shoot is very essential as debris and gas emission through guns can be injurious to eyes and ears. Sound also affects ears and gun air rifles can produce enough noise pressure.